The System for Land-based Emissions Estimation in Kenya (SLEEK) is a Government of Kenya program to develop a
robust Measurement, Reporting and Verification system to estimate land-based emissions in Kenya and provide this data to drive development in the country.
- A beta integration tool has been developed, that has allowed the first tests of the SLEEK system to be undertaken
- New models are now being integrated into the SLEEK system
- Initial biomass partitioning and growth curves for plantation species developed.
- The team is now working on finalizing management events and regimes for plantations and begin work on natural forest.
- The team has harmonized soil sampling protocols.
- Data collection for calibration of Roth C will begin in the coming quarter.
CLIMATE AND METEOROLOGICAL DATA
- The Kenya Meteorological Service has completed monthly maximum and minimum temperature grids covering 1985 to 2014 using interpolation tools.
- Climate EWG will now begin to develop daily grids of maximum and minimum temperature.
LAND COVER CHANGE DATA
- Development of a land cover classification scheme for Kenya is completed.
- Land Cover Change EWG has completed the land cover map for 2014 and will proceed in the development of other maps.
- Initial calibrations for WOFOST have been completed by the Crop EWG
- On farm and on station data collection is ongoing.
Crop Selection App
SLEEK will provide weather data & crop data to help farmers make better decisions about how to use their land.
This app can use SLEEK weather, land-use and forest data to help identify sites where reforestation is most likely to be successful.
NEWS FROM SLEEK
CENTRAL INTEGRATION TOOL TO ANSWER IMPORTANT POLICY QUESTIONS
In April SLEEK will run the first functional Measurement Reporting Verification (MRV) system in the land sector in Africa.